Colonial Airlines Pilot Wing 1st Issue
Boston, MA 1926-1956
The airline was founded as Canadian Colonial Airways on 6 March 1928. Services began to Canada on 1 October 1928. After acquisition by a group of investors, the airline was renamed Colonial Airlines on 1 May 1942. The airline was awarded a route from Washington DC to Montreal and Ottawa 10 August 1945, followed by routes to Bermuda in May 1946. Scheduled flights to the latter began on 1 August 1947. By 1956, Colonial's executive offices were moved to Park Avenue in New York City. The airline operated for a period of five years during which a fierce competition was fought for its control between Eastern Air Lines and National Airlines. After several reversals of government policy, Eastern Airlines emerged as the acquirer and the operational merger took place on 1 June 1956.