Gulf + Western Corporation Captain Wing Type II
New York, NY 1934-1994
Gulf and Western's origins date to a manufacturer named Michigan Bumper Co. founded in 1934. Charles Bluhdorn took over the company in 1958. Under Bluhdorn the company diversified widely, leaving behind things like stamping metal bumpers not only for communications properties like Paramount Pictures (,1966) but also other companies dealing in clothing, mass media and publishing and many other subsidiaries. The company was sold to Viacom in 1994 and the Gulf + Western Corporation became defunct at that time.