Robinson Airlines Pilot Wing
Ithaca, NY 1945-1972
The airline began operations in 1945 as Robinson Airlines flying single engined, three passenger F-24 aircraft. As they grew in the 1950s, the DC-3 became its primary aircraft; the CV-240, CV-440 and M 4-0-4s were integrated into their fleet later. The airline also experimented with helicopter service with limited success. In 1952 Robinson was purchased by Robert Peach, and the name was changed to Mohawk Airlines as the result of a customer contest. In 1958, the airline moved their headquarters to Utica, NY in the heart of the Mohawk Valley. Mohawk upgraded their fleet with the BAC 1-11 in 1965. By 1969, all piston-engined aircraft had been retired from their fleet and Mohawk flew mainly BAC 1-11 Fairchild Hiller FH-227. From 1968 to 1971, labor and economic issues bled Mohawk financially. Unable to pay creditors at the end of that period, Mohawk entered merger discussions with Allegheny Airlines, and the merger was completed in 1972. The resulting company eventually became USAir in 1979, changing their name to US Airways in the late 1990s. US Airways merged with America West Airlines in 2005, who chose to maintain the more nationally recognized name of US Airways.