Southern Airways Camp Wolter Pilot Hat Badge
Military Training 1941-1973
Southern Airways has a history of service to the nation and training military pilots. Before it became an airline they opened a school for the Army Air Corp at Decatur, AL in 1941 and Camden, SC. In 1957 the US Army awarded a contract to Southern Airways to conduct helicopter pilot training at Camp Wolter Mineral Springs, TX (designated Wolters Air Force Base. in 1951 and back to Camp Wolters in 1956). They started with 12 helicopters in 1957 and by 1969 it had grown to 1200 training helicopters and graduating 600 cadets a month. The school closed in 1973. They also operated a flight training school in Bainbridge, GA from 1951 to 1961.